Just before summer started last year, we have decided that we would like to get a backyard play set for the kids. We were not so sure if we wanted wooden swing sets or plastic ones.
Ask Yourself These
There were some questions which we considered before we have finally decided.
- Until how long will the kids play with the set? Would it last for a long time? Will they outgrow it quickly?
- What size would best suit for our backyard? Shall we opt for a massive structure or just a small one that would accommodate only a swing and a slide?
- How much is our budget? Will it be a good investment for our kids?
- Shall we get a plastic one or a wooden one?
The Pros and Cons
There were just too many questions that we have to answer before we reach a certain decision. Nevertheless, we have found some advantages and disadvantages of having a wooden swing set.
- Physically, a wooden swing set looks really good as it has this natural look. It makes your backyard more presentable than the plastic kind. Also, this is more environment friendly.
- One good thing about having wooden swing sets is that you have many choices. You could opt to put the swing to this side or the other side. You could even add some features as time passes. You just need to use some imagination to keep fun just as it starts to get boring.
- The best thing about this kind of set is that you can repair it quickly once something is broken. You don’t need to wait for a replacement from the manufacturer.
- Maintaining might be done every few years like repainting and making sure that the screws and bolts are still tight.
- If you aren’t fond of building then you might spend an equally long time putting it yourself or you need to pay someone to put it up for you.
On the other hand, with plastic swing set.
- Maintenance is not hard. You only need to clean it with water.
- Plastics are friendlier when it comes to safety as you don’t need to worry about splinters.
- A plastic swing is definitely cheaper and won’t cost you an arm and a leg. This is best for families on a tight budget.
- With plastic ones, you cannot do more about it. You cant rebuild, add a structure or redesign it.
- Truthfully, plastic swings don’t look nice in the garden and sometimes just don’t fit well.
So as our decision, wooden swing sets are definitely way better and would last longer. Yes it might be more expensive but it is a truly a good value for money. Learn more here about it.